The goal of the Doctoral Symposium is to encourage PhD students in the field of software architecture to actively participate in and contribute to the 13th European Conference on Software Architecture (ECSA 2019). Students will be able to present their research goals, methods and (preliminary) results. They will interact closely with established researchers in their fields, receive feedback on their work and get advice on managing their research. The symposium will also help participants to establish a new research and social network of their peers in the field of software architecture.
The technical scope of the Doctoral Symposium is that of ECSA 2019, as represented by the list of the topics in the ECSA 2019 call for papers. We encourage submissions from Ph.D. students both at early and advanced stages of their research. Based on the submissions, the committee will select a group of students that will be invited to participate in the program. Participants will be expected to actively discuss and argue about their work by giving a presentation, presenting a poster and debating with senior researchers.
To participate at the Doctoral Symposium, students should prepare a submission package consisting of two parts, a research abstract and a letter of recommendation.
Part 1: Research summary paper. The paper (2-4 pages) should cover the following aspects:
The problem to be solved and its relevance in the software architecture field;
Previous work which has addressed similar problems explaining why they have not been solved;
The proposed approach;
The expected results;
A plan for the evaluation of results.
Part 2: Letter of Recommendation
The recommendation letter should be submitted directly by the advisors. The letter should include the submission number of the paper, the name of the candidate, the status of the dissertation research, and an expected date for the dissertation submission.
The research summary paper is to be submitted electronically (PDF) to the ECSA2019 submission site.
All submissions must be formatted according the ACM format and submission guidelines.
The Doctoral Symposium Committee using the following criteria will review submissions:
Technical quality of the submission, e.g., clarity, precision and adequacy of the problem statement, related work, self-contained solution description, expected results and their evaluation plan.
Overall quality, including originality of the submission, novelty of the research approach, and relevance to ECSA 2019.
Doctoral Symposium proceedings will be published in the ECSA 2019 Proceedings Companion Volume, and shall appear in the ACM Digital Library.
Research Summary and Letter Recommendation Submission
May 31, 2019
Notification of Decision
June 21, 2019
Camera-Ready paper due
July 5, 2019
Doctoral Symposium Committee
- Jesper Andersson, Linnaeus university, Sweden
- Francesca Arcelli Fontana, University of Milano Bicocca, Italy
- Steffen Becker, University of Stuttgart, Germany
- Antonia Bertolino, ISTI-CNR, Itlay
- Carlo Ghezzi, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Nicole Levy, Cedric, CNAM, France
- Raffaela Mirandola, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Elisa Yumi Nakagawa, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Elena Navarro, University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Flavio Oquendo, IRISA (UMR CNRS) - Univ. Bretagne-Sud (UBS), France
- Jennifer Pérez Benedí, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
- Elvinia Riccobene, University of Milan, Italy
- Antony Tang, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Chouki Tibermacine, University of Montpellier, France
- Danny Weyns, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Uwe Zdun, University of Vienna, Austria
For questions, please contact the Doctoral Symposium Chair:
Raffaela Mirandola, Politecnico di Milano, email@example.com